Monday, May 07, 2007

An Ethical Dilemma

I had a very nice (non-contentious) conversation with my dad this morning, which prompted some self-reflection. I mentioned having contributed to PETA in the past, and he asked me if I actually agreed with everything the organization represents. I answered that yes, I do oppose animal testing and animal cruelty. He agreed, but brought up the issue of eating meat (which I do.) I also enjoy fishing, but had always assumed it was "ethical" as we always eat the fish we catch. I don't enjoy hunting, but I have always believed hunting to be morally acceptable if the meat is eaten. (I remember being taught at an early age that hunting solely for a "trophy" was the pinnacle of trashy, unsportsmanlike behavior.)
After reflecting (and visiting the PETA website,) I suppose I would have to re-examine my beliefs. As a carnivore (and a rather enthusiastic one at that) I definitely do not live up to the full teachings of PETA. I am reminded of a marvelous song from the Rex Harrison film, Dr. Doolittle. (I believe the title was "A Reluctant Vegetarian.") In the scene, Dr. Doolittle is telling a friend how he became a veteranarian/vegetarian:

"When I see my fellow men consuming sirloin steak,
And I find myself enjoying tea and Dundee cake,
There is only one conclusion I can make...
I'm a devoted vegetarian.

When my host at dinner offers succulent roast beef,
proudly I refuse it. People stare in disbelief.
Lost in admiration as I nibble on a leaf...
A very noted vegetarian.

I stay away from deviled ham on principle.
I wouldn't eat roast duckling if I could.
Willpower has made me invincible.
(My word, those sausages look good.)

(Doolittle notices that two rabbits have eaten his dinner)

Where's my dinner gone? Who's eaten it this time? It's bad enough to have to eat this muck in the first place! Just because I eat this instead of eating them, they think they can take advantage of me!

I eat every flowering shrub there is except for gorse!
Sometimes I get luxuries like beetroot leaves of course!
My life's much the same as any English horse!
Why should I be a vegetarian???

Turnip pie and peanuts, that's the sort of filth I eat!
Any sort of rubbish that is wholesome and discreet!
Why don't I admit that my hypocrisy's complete?
I'm a cheat! I love meat! Yes I am...
I love red-blooded juicy chunks of meat!
Legs of lamb, sides of beef, steaks and chops
and ducks and veal, and pork of course my favorite meal!

(The pig, "Gub-Gub," squeals at this)

...and then I hear poor Gub-Gub squeal.
Oh me...oh my...a reluctant, but sincere vegetarian
am I.

And there it is. While I must admit I have not even tried to be a vegetarian (and am not sure I could succeed if I did try) I do sympathize with the Doctor's plight. It does present a moral conundrum. If I had to watch cows and pigs being slaughtered, would it make a difference? If I visited a chicken farm, would it make a difference? Perhaps.

The question of nature and nutrition come to mind. Are we, as humans, supposed to eat animals? One could argue both Biblical and evolutionary points to the affirmative. On the other hand, can we not get everything we need nutritionally from plants and grains? On a personal level, am I the product of 37 years of cultural conditioning? Is my body and my digestive system so accustomed to eating meat that it would be difficult to stop now?

These are difficult questions...perhaps I will try to take a "vegetarian day" every now and then, just to see if I could do it. No promises that I could ever give up steak and chicken, but who knows...?

The bottom line, however, is that I do agree with and support the mission of PETA. Do I live up to their every standard? No. However, there are quite a few issues with which I agree 100% with PETA.

Animal Testing: Absurd. Barbaric. (And even though I don't often use this word, IMMORAL.) Can anyone truly think strapping small monkeys and rabbits down and spraying them in the eyes with perfume is civilized? Injecting animals with household cleaners to catalog their response? Utterly inhumane. How about the baby monkeys and puppies sent up in tiny spacecraft with no plans for getting them home? (Luckily, this practice seems to have stopped.) Animals should never be abused in this manner.

Fur: We live in a world in which faux fur is literally indistinguishable from real fur. I have nothing against a glamorous look. (Hey, I like glamorous women.) However, I can not understand how wearing the body of an innocent animal who was raised just to be killed for it's pelt is attractive. I love leopard-print, and think it's the most alluring thing a woman can wear, but man-made leopard- print is just as sexy... and a woman with compassion as well as allure is even more so.

Animal Cruelty: Beat a dog, go to jail. Kick a cat, go to jail. Starve a horse, go to jail.

...which leaves only the food issue. I am flawed, but I am aware of this.

FLT3

No comments: