Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Top Ten...

I had a delightful lunch today with Lovey and some friends...one of them (Lindsey) brought up the subject of everyone's top ten favorite musicals. That seemed a blog-worthy topic, so here are my top ten picks:

. My Fair Lady
. Bye Bye Birdie
. The Music Man
. Gilligan's Island:The Musical
. Kiss Me, Kate
. Oliver!
. Les Miserables
. Me And My Girl
. Thoroughly Modern Millie
. Anything Goes

Honorable mention also goes out to The Phantom Of The Opera, A Little Night Music, 42nd Street, The Secret Garden, Hair, Sweeney Todd, Camelot, The King And I, I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change, and Grease.

So...assuming that my readers (all 12 of you) also have your own lists, I send out a call for submissions... what are YOUR top 10 favorite musicals?

In today's News From The Motherland... rowdy behaviour closes a pub in Kent.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/kent/7690684.stm

OBAMA IN '08!!!
FLT3

5 comments:

kiminalabama said...

*I* still read your blog. Especially since I hardly ever hear from you otherwise. Hm.

My Fair Lady
Anything Goes
The Music Man
Phantom of the Opera
The Lion King
Beauty and the Beast
Gilligan's Island: The Musical
The Sound of Music
My Favorite Year
Spamalot

kiminalabama said...

Crap. Les Mis should be in there too. Can't wait to see it at ASF next summer.

Goldstein said...

As much as I love Gilligan's Island: the Musical, I don't think you can honestly say it's better than Les Miz. I mean, I'm sure Lloyd appreciates your sentiments, but, I'm just sayin'...

1. Les Mis
2. Phantom
3. Chorus Line
4. My Fair Lady
5. Ave. Q (I've never actually seen it, just heard it)
6. South Pacific
7. Gilligan
8. Into The Woods
9. Bye Bye Birdie
10. Fiddler on the Roof

(And, Gilligan is a stretch at 7, but it's really a fun show)

Selina said...

Hey Doll,
Of course I still read your blog - it is the only way I know you are still alive!
I know I will plummet in your esteem when I say musicals are not really my thing, but there are a few I love. In order of LOVE:

Mamma Mia
Hairspray
Phantom of the Opera
My Fair Lady

Lee said...

In no particular order:

Sweeney Todd
Cabaret
Gypsy
Sunday in the Park With George
[title of show]
Rent
Pippin
Caroline, or Change
Ragtime
Assassins

My list is a bit Sondheim heavy, I know. So what? :)