Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Accept No Substitute...

...other than yours truly, because I need the money!

I am substituting today at Vestavia High School. So far, so good...the kids are pretty much well-behaved, and they seem to be enjoying the combination of sub, watching a movie, and the general day-before-a-long-holiday relaxing of the rules. I will say, however, that after three viewings, the documentary on German soccer players is getting a bit dull. Did I mention that I'm subbing for the German teacher? As my only foreign language in school was French, I can (at best) mumble a passabe danke and bitte, and the occasional achtung, baby! (Yes, I am a child of the '80s, for those who caught the reference.) :-)

Cinderella moved into the theatre last night, and shows all signs of being an entertaining show. It's a little syrupy for my taste, but Melissa has thrown in some nice comedic slapstick moments with the stepsisters, which seem to cut the sugar down to a not-quite-diabetic level. I am looking ahead to The King & I, which I will be directing next Spring. My good friend Brent Jones is playing the role of The King, so it will be fun for us to do another show together.

An interesting job offer came round this week, and I accepted. I am organizing a group of carolers to entertain at the Brasfield & Gorrie Christmas party. Fairly low impact rehearsal-wise, and a very nice compensation offer made that one a no-brainer. It will be a good opportunity to show off some of our better singers, too.

It's almost time for the bell to ring...*sigh* and time for another showing of the soccer documentary. Only three more to go...

FLT3

No comments: