Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Nazis on Parade - Roy Moore

I wish I could say that the title of this post is some sort of humorous reference to The Producers and "Springtime For Hitler," but alas, I can not. It's not very often I post twice in one day (sometimes I don't even post twice in one week) but I am so completely nauseated after reading today's paper, I've got to purge.

"Reverend Roy" Moore, who made Alabama a national joke with his insipid and ludicrous posturing over the Ten Commandments monument, is once again proving himself to be nothing more than a narrow-minded, insane bigot. Today's Birmingham News has a large story about Roy's endorsement of Alabamians Against Same-Sex Marriage, or whatever it is this group is calling itself. I personally think they should go ahead and call themselves The Brownshirts and be done with it, but there you are. For those of you who have the paper, check out Roy's scowl and combed-over-the-front hairdo. He couldn't look more Hitleresque if he tried. Nice to see that all these ministers standing behind him are so filled with Christian goodness that they have nothing better to do with their time than allign themselves with an idiotic neo-Nazi seeking political office through the persecution of a non-threatening minority. No time to minister to the poor, console the bereaved, or spread the Gospel of Christ...got to help Roy keep them fags from marryin'. No tellin' where that can lead!

What Roy and the buffoons surrounding him have never understood is that the "sanctity of marriage" is not, and will never be threatened by same-sex unions. I happen to be a straight male, and I can say with 100% certainty that if same-sex marriage is "legalized," I will not suddenly change my orientation and marry a man. With apologies for the cliche, some of my best friends are gay, and they are among the finest people I know. They pay their taxes, contribute to the community, and (sorry Roy,) they go to church and enjoy the love and grace of God just like the rest of us. Are they sinning? I guess so, but who among us isn't?

I have gone on this rant before, and I will repeat myself... QUESTIONS OF MORALITY ARE FOR THE CHURCH, NOT THE STATE. If an individual church or denomination chooses not to recognize or bless same-sex civil unions, so be it...the Church (capital deliberate) has that right, and indeed that duty to issue opinion and policy on moral issues. There are widely disparate levels of conservative and liberal thought among the various religious faiths, and there is a place for everyone. Conservative Southern Baptists and Liberal Episcopalians worship the same God, but espouse very different types of social theory, and there are a bajillion areas of grey in between to accomodate almost any school of reasonable thought. In my humble opinion, the final arbiter of right and wrong is GOD, not Roy Moore and his band of pitchfork-weilding followers.

Roy is doing his best to create a theocracy, and he's certainly utilizing some methods that were employed by the Third Reich in pre-WWII. He's starting out by picking on the small fringe groups, rallying the "good folks of Alabama" behind him in his vile efforts. Never mind that Jesus himself preached tolerance, acceptance, and inclusiveness...I'm sure Roy would never associate himself with the outcasts and sinners of the world in an effort to bring them to God. To quote George Carlin, "that might be something that Jesus would do."

The sad fact is that this puritanical moron will probably get elected Governor of Alabama.

FLT3

No comments: