Friday, January 13, 2006

Opening Night, Sort Of

Last night was technically opening night for South Pacific, but as the entire show was bought out by a corporate sponsor, tonight really has more of the feeling of an opening night...friends, family, and well-wishers are sure to be out in droves. Last night's audience was very receptive and warm, with much applause and laughter, but it felt artificial somehow. I think tonight will really have that extra edge that makes a show great. I did have the luxury of knowing one person in the audience, my good friend Ron Wilson (who played Emile DeBecque in the first production of South Pacific I ever did, and subsequently played the role for CenterStage.) It was good to see Ron, and it always helps my performance if I know someone in the audience.

I am subbing for a chemistry class today. No need for terror on anyone's part...the classes all have worksheets to do, and absolutely no explosives are being handled. As usual, it's a pretty easy job. I am also working on a couple of mental health stories for WBHM. Situation normal as far as the work and theatre worlds are concerned.

I am fighting off a case of the crud, as is typical for this time of year. Yesterday brought the sniffles, a slight cough and some pretty unpleasant sweaty chills. After drinking about a half-gallon of water (the miracle cure) I spent most of my offstage moments last night in the bathroom, but it seems to have been worth it. I am feeling somewhat better today, and can assume that whatever was making me ill was either drowned or washed out to sea.

The King & I had an excellent read-through and the leads did some music rehearsal this week. Tomorrow's choreography rehearsal was cancelled due to our choreographer being under the weather, but we will be in full swing next week. The school matinees seem to be selling well, so hopefully the show will be a financial as well as an artistic success.

It's raining today. Good day for a nap. I wonder if the kids would notice (or care) if I fell asleep.

FLT3

No comments: