Sunday, August 03, 2008

Doot Dooty Dooty Doot, Doot Dooty Dooty Doot...

Well, I must admit that my attempt to represent on the printed page (screen?) the opening riff of "We Go Together" might have been a bit cryptic at best, but there you are...

Lovey and I took Thurston IV and Thurston V to the historic Alabama Theatre this afternoon to see Grease, that wonderful film that shaped the childhood/adolescence of many a Generation X-er. I remember getting the record (for those under 25, that's a big disc that played music) when I was in the 4th grade. I think I literally wore it out within a year. Aside from a HUGE crush on the actress who played "Marty" (Dinah Manoff if memory serves) I absolutely loved the music, and wanted to be a T-Bird...or Vince Fontaine...or third nobody from the left...

One thing that I had never really noticed before is how well the film creates an amalgam of the 1950's (when the show is set) and the 1970's (when the movie was filmed.) There is a definite touch of funk in the score, and some of the fashions veer dangerously close to a sort of Lamont Sanford-meets-Sonny Bono sensibility. This little pastiche of period is, in a word, delightful.

I had NOT forgotten that Stockard Channing, as Rizzo, looked like everyone else's grandmother.

At any rate, everyone left the theatre humming and singing. Grease is, to this day, the word. I will be directing the stage version this fall, and today's screening has given me a good boost of enthusiasm. I anticipate a fun project...

In today's News From The Motherland... a farewell to Alexander Solzhenitsyn. I remember reading and enjoying One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich when I was in the 7th or 8th grade.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7540038.stm

Obama In '08!!!!

FLT3

No comments: