Wednesday, December 24, 2008

An Absent Friend

Happy Christmas Eve!

As I sit and think over the holiday and anticipate a wonderful Christmas Day tomorrow, my thoughts keep returning to my dear friend, Walter Brown McCord. WB passed away earlier this year, and this is the first Christmas season in over 20 years that has not included a special time with Walter Brown. Usually I would drive down to his home in Greensboro, AL for a visit. WB loved gin, so I would usually have a bottle of Gordon's or Beefeater in hand when I arrived, and we would toast the season together.

WB was in his late 70's, and had lived (as the saying goes) a rich, full, life. His stories were enchanting and engaging, and he had met, befriended, or known almost every major celebrity of the 1960's. His voice and delivery were as distinctive as they could be, and his soul was one of the sweetest and most kindly that I have ever known.

The point of all of this is to encourage my readers (both of you...hee hee hee) to appreciate and enjoy the time you have with those around you. Cherish it, hang onto it, and love it. It is, in the end, all too fleeting. I would gladly give back every Christmas gift I have ever received if it meant I could spend one more Christmas visit with Walter Brown McCord.

In today's News From The Motherland...smart monkeys! :-)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7797776.stm

God Bless Us, Every One!
FLT3

Happy Christmas Eve!

No comments: