Thursday, November 12, 2009

DAMES Sets Sail...

Day 52: "Of course, we'll be rescued! You don't expect Thurston Howell III to spend the rest of his life on an island without a stock ticker, do you? Not to mention a fox hunting season!"
-Thurston Howell III

Once again, I am attempting, dear readers, to resume daily blogging. Oh, to have a dollar for every time I have sworn to be more diligent with these scribblings...

Last night was final dress rehearsal for DAMES AT SEA, with a small invited audience of about 35 or 40 people. I am happy to report that all went very well, with the exception of two costume changes (both mine) that have to take place with lightning speed. Although I made it onstage, to call me anything but bedraggled and rumpled would be obscenely generous. I do believe the problem(s) have been solved, however, so tonight's opening should be quite successful.

SANTA IN SPACE is going well. The kids should love it, and there is enough cheeky humor in the script to keep the adults from falling asleep.

I have been very philosophical lately...the concept of sadness has been on my mind as I have been fighting off a bit of a funk. There are those among us (good and learned people, all) who view sadness as a chance for growth, inner knowledge, a greater texture of being, etc. I respect this outlook intellectually, but it is not for me.

My view on sadness is that it is a cancer on the soul and must be wiped out. Our lives are so short...to waste a moment of the truly precious time we have been given is a sin, and sadness absolutely destroys the quality of the time we have on Earth. With apologies for the shallow philosophy, I have to quote the great philosopher Sally Bowles..."start by admitting from cradle to tomb isn't that long a stay..."

If sadness means growth, I'll stay ungrown. Take me to the island, strike up the orchestra, and bring on the dancing girls, falling coconuts, and spiffily-dressed upper-crust Englishmen (and women) singing about the Ascot Opening Race or histrionic Ohioan parents wondering what's the matter with kids today...I'm here to be happy.

And there it is. Feel free to disagree, but that's my viewpoint.

In today's News From The Motherland... a push to legalize...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8357082.stm

Cheers!
FLT3

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Abraham Lincoln once said "Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be". I think he would have agreed with your blog today. I also agree, time spent wallowing in sadness is wasted. Love you, D

FLT3 said...

Love you too, Debbie! Thanks!