Thursday, February 16, 2006

End of week thoughts

As usual, Thursday night is approaching, and the old sentimental thoughts of Thursday night college revelry come to mind. I think I'll be 80 years old and Thursday night will still conjure images of The Varsity, The Hound's Tooth, or The Brass Monkey. (The Varsity is long-demolished, and I have no idea if either of the other dives still exist, but they will all live forever in my memory, where "college" always means "late 1980's." :-)

Last Sunday was the BATA (Birmingham Area Theatre Alliance) Gala, featuring 5-10 minute excerpts from the offerings of various local theatre groups. The selections ranged from truly amazing to somewhat less than perfect, but the overall event was entertaining and fun. Brent and Leah (King and Anna, respectively) did the "Shall We Dance" number from K&I, which went very well.

The main event of the gala was the presentation of the lifetime achievement award to Jack & Suzanne Mann. They have been prominent in Birmingham's theatre scene for years, and the award was well-deserved.

I am once again subbing at Pizitz Middle School today. So far, the kids are sedate enough...maybe the anticipation of a 4-day weekend has them numb with excitement...or maybe the lunchroom served Nyquil milkshakes today. Either way, I'm not complaining.

FLT3

No comments: