Saturday, June 30, 2007

Hear, Hear, Jocky!!!

Yes, that is a rather cryptic headline for today's post, but it is most apropos given the day's events. With yet another car bombing (this time in Glasgow) I fear my beloved UK is truly under seige. After watching the news report from the Glasgow airport, I kept thinking of a minor character from Irvine Welsh's Trainspotting. Jocky Linton's primary distinguishing characteristic is a tattoo of a Lion Rampant with "Scotland Forever" beneath it.

While I'm not going to rush out and get a tattoo like Jocky's, I share in his feelings. My heart lies in England, but Scotland is "part of the family," and She just got attacked. Today, we are all Scottish. Since I indulged in a little free-flowing reverie yesterday when London was hit by two (mercifully undetonated) car bombs, I think it only fair to pop in the cd of Brigadoon and reminisce about Bonnie Scotland...

I have flown into Glasgow and spent a little time there, but my main exposure to Scotland has been through the city of Edinburgh, which I have visited a couple of times. Actually, Edinburgh dispelled me of the delusion that there is no such thing as bad fried chicken. The KFC I visited served something grey and vaguely meat-like, but it wasn't the southern-fried goodness we all know and love. Who cares? I'd still eat a bucket of it today just because...

Edinburgh Castle is a great sight/site to see, and I especially enjoyed the Scotch Whisky tasting offered there...The Royal Mile is home to some amazing shopping. I got my mother a red serape cape there about 10 years ago, and I think Alabama has gotten cold enough to allow her to wear it 5 or 6 times so far. Oh well, it looks great in her closet...Aberdeen is another neat Scottish town, home of Loch Ness, where Nessie, alas, failed to appear the one day I visited her loch...perhaps she was getting her beauty sleep.

FLT3

No comments: