Thursday, August 16, 2007

Another Fine Mess...

As always, news from The Motherland...the BBC had this to say about a proposed statue of Laurel & Hardy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/6949693.stm

I remember watching L&H when I was growing up...somewhere in my early teens I "discovered" them on late-night television, and immediately became a fan. I particularly enjoyed the musical numbers they presented, including "In The Blue Ridge Mountains Of Virginia" and "Shine On, Harvest Moon." My absolute favorite short was "The Music Box," where the boys attempt to move a piano up an extremely steep flight of stairs. (Point of trivia: the same set of stairs was used for a similar film in which The Three Stooges played ice men trying to deliver a huge cube of ice.)

Here's to Stan and Ollie...long may they be remembered!

FLT3

1 comment:

Aaron White said...

I saw The Music Box a couple of times as a child, always projected on the big screen instead of on TV, for some reason, and with a pack of Indian Guides or Cub Scouts. I didn't just enjoy it; it was hypnotic. Something about those guys going up the stairs and meeting variations on the same problems was spellbinding. Thanks for bringing it up! I'll try to find a copy of this.