Friday, August 10, 2007

Yet Another Of The Gazillion Reasons I Love The British...

"Rowdy antics..." For some reason, that just made me smile... I also had to laugh at the thought of "couples copulating on the bonnets of cars." Hee hee hee... we've come a long way since Eliza Doolittle shocked everyone at Ascot by shouting "move your bloomin' arse."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/cornwall/6939901.stm

Yesterday I had lunch with a good friend who reminded me of a comment by JK Rowling. (Which reminds me...for all three of my readers, I am planning to post the first HP commentary today or tomorrow and hope a discussion will follow...) Anyway, Rowling mentioned that in England, she met with one very polite request re the Christian imagery in the books. She received a letter from a clergyman who asked most respectfully (and with professed admiration for the series) that she consider not placing Christmas trees at Hogwarts School. Civilized and friendly, it was apparently one of those "please forgive this minor complaint and thank you ever so for your otherwise outstanding product" sort of letters.

In America...death threats and screaming hysterics from absurd fundamentalists. I have another friend whose nephew attends a "Christian" (quotes very much on purpose) school where Harry Potter is banned. The child in question is allowed by his family to read the books and see the movies, but can't talk about them at school for fear of being ostracized. To steal a line from The Man Who Came To Dinner, I may vomit. I personally think God has many more important things on His mind than whether or not a 12-year-old (or anyone else) reads a harmless fairy tale.

Rule Brittania!

FLT3

No comments: