Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Shakespeare, The Blues, and BBQ

I suppose that sounds a bit like a country music song from some bizzare offbeat band, but it's actually my life right now. Shakespeare refers to "The Comedy Of Errors," which opens next week. I am playing both Dromio twins, which is a real lark. I am still struggling with the lines, but I will get there. I am infinitely more concerned with the heat index...we perform outdoors, which could open the door to some rather sweaty performances. Hopefully there will be a break in the heat wave by next Thursday.

As for the blues, I am really wrestling with them right now. I have been finding myself either sitting around moping, bursting into tears for no apparent reason, or being ridiculously ill-tempered for the past week or so. I could attribute it to the heat, but this is a pattern I know well. I get this way two or three times a year, and there seems to be precious little I can do about it. I just have to try extra hard not to be short or snappish with people, make every effort to at least appear happy, and just muddle through until it goes away (as capriciously and without cause as it arrived.) Someday when I have health insurance, some shrink will make a fortune off me, I'm sure...

On to happier subjects, I had a really excellent bbq chicken breast for dinner, from Bob Sykes' BBQ out in Bessemer. I grew up eating Sykes', and I still consider it the best (sorry, Dreamland!) It's funny how taste can be so evocative of time and place, but as I was eating it, I recalled countless meals at Sykes' as a kid. I'm sure my family ate there in all seasons, but I always associate it with cold weather...I was thinking while I ate, and actually envisioned sitting with my parents at the restaurant, looking out the window at a cold, dreary, sleet-filled sky. Despite the grim appearance of the outdoors, the feeling was quite cozy and content. When you're 8 or 9 years old, it's Friday night, the weather is gross, but you're with mum & dad inside someplace happy and warm, eating barbeque...well, all is right with the world.

Of course no posting of mine would be complete without a link to the BBC. Here's what's going on in The Motherland today...actually, the news is FROM The Motherland, but the story takes place in the USA. It involves a monkey, so I liked it. :-)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6936533.stm

FLT3

No comments: