Friday, November 30, 2007

Christmas is here again...

Tonight was opening night for CenterStage's A Christmas Story. We had a good opening, a somewhat small but receptive audience, and a very nice cast outing to Formaggio's afterwards. Yesterday was opening day of A Christmas Carol at BCT, and it is going well. We have already done 4 performances. Obviously, I am beginning to feel the Christmas spirit.

I was taking a reflective moment today at BCT...and I started recalling the very first time I worked there. It was 1985, and I was 15 years old, playing the "goose boy" who fetches the bird for the newly-redeemed Scrooge on Christmas morning. I remember thinking the Birmingham Civic Center was the most massive theatre in the world...and one of the most modern.

There was a special feeling to that Christmas. This is complete conjecture, but I think my dad got a substantial rise that year, or perhaps there was some investment that really did well for my parents. Whatever the reason, that was a particularly lavish Christmas at our house. Gifts had always been plentiful at Christmas, but that year I remember my sister and I were basically swimming in gifts. It was also (and much more importantly) the first year I truly felt the significance of giving. I was a sophomore in high school and there was a collective drive to provide gifts and food for a needy family. I remember walking through the hall on the way to homeroom and contemplating the act of giving and enjoying the way it made me feel. (Don't misunderstand...I am no saint, but I do enjoy giving to others.)

Anyway, 1985 will always be remembered as the "Rich's Christmas." Rich's was a department store in Birmingham at the time. While not extremely expensive, it was a notch or two above the other department stores. Rich's was a little more dimly lighted, the walls were stained a darker wood-tone, and the salesgirls were just a bit prettier than the ones at Parisian or Pizitz. The Christmas lights were rich and luminescent gold and red, and the piped-in music at Rich's was usually a symphonic recording of something like "Coventry Carol" or The Nutcracker. In short, Rich's was the "nice" department store.

We usually bought a few special gifts at Rich's, and then went to the more everyday stores for other gifts. My parents, while very kind, loving, and giving, were not ones to pay an extra five dollars for the right of carrying a Rich's bag through the mall...especially if the bag contained an item whose identical twin could be purchased elsewhere for less.

For whatever reason, we bought pretty much every gift at Rich's that year, and I will always associate BCT and A Christmas Carol with that really wonderful Christmas I had in 1985. I even remember my mother picking me up at the theatre one day and asking if instead of going back to school (we were doing daytime shows requiring a "check out" from school) I would like to get lunch and go shopping. Needless to say, my answer was yes.

We ate lunch at cafeteria in the mall and shopped at Rich's after I performed in A Christmas Carol at BCT in the morning. That day remains one of my favorite Christmas memories...a very uneventful and ordinary day, but for some reason one that has become emblematic of warm holiday happiness.

I know, that story had no point...I am just free-flowing.

Today from The Motherland...Sarah, the wife of PM Gordon Brown, promotes reading. I agree.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7122428.stm

FLT3

No comments: