Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Dames At Sea and BCT

Day 41: HINES: I told you once...I'm not jealous!
GLADYS: I didn't say you were jealous, Vernon, I said you were drunk!
HINES: Well, you can't have everything...
-From the musical The Pajama Game.


Tonight brought the second rehearsal for DAMES AT SEA, which shows a great deal of promise. The cast is small (only 6 actors) and everyone in it (with due modesty) is extremely talented and the show itself is delightful. We perform in November at Hoover Library Theatre...only three performances...get your tickets now...

I am playing a dual role, which is always fun. In the first act, I am Hennesey, the highly stressed theatrical producer, and in the second act, the clueless/befuddled ship's captain. Both roles are going to be very enjoyable to play, but at first glance, The Captain is my favorite.

Today also brings a costume fitting for the previously-heralded SANTA IN SPACE at Bham Children's Theatre. I have no idea how the playwright has managed to launch Pere Noel into the ionosphere, but I am sure it will be a show the kids will enjoy. We perform in the "Wee Folks" theatre, which is an intimate space, to say the least. Having done Wee Folks shows before, I feel qualified to state that there is no theatrical venue (at least not in my experience) that provides such...shall we say...immediate feedback on one's performance. Playing in a very small space is sometimes a bit claustrophobic under any circumstances, but when the average audience member is six years old...believe me, you know pretty quickly when they have lost their focus.

As silly as it may sound, children's shows sometimes force the best and most considered acting. Adults will usually politely accept a decent but not brilliant performance. With kids, you have to stay on your game from entrance to exit. ;-)

Onward, onward...

In today's News From The Motherland... a new role for a Tory leader...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8294670.stm

Cheers!
FLT3

No comments: