Saturday, January 01, 2005

Should Auld Acquaintance Be Forgot...

Does anyone really understand what the lyrics mean in "Auld Lang Syne?" If so, please don't bother to explain them to me. I prefer to think of them as lines to a truly vulgar and depraved, albeit cryptic, Scottish drinking song. I would be SO disappointed to learn otherwise...

I decided not to join in the revelry this year, and have indulged in nothing more decadent than a Milo's hamburger and fries this New Year's Eve. Actually, the internal damage from my meal is probably greater than that inflicted by a bottle of champagne. Oh well, there it is.

It is now about three minutes after midnight, and the fireworks are a-banging outside my window. (Some of them sound more like mortar shells, and on any other night, I would anticipate the coming of a revolution and/or gang war.) Earlier tonight, the 10:00 news broadcast a story about how local law enforcement officials have been asking (well, begging, actually) the locals to refrain from firing off handguns at midnight. A-way down here in the land of cotton, the new year is apparently oft-welcomed with gunfire. It's ever so charming to usher in January with a head wound, I suppose. (Favorite old joke: What are a redneck's last words? "Hey, Bubba...watch this.")

Happy New Year to all!

No comments: