Thursday, December 30, 2004

And The Dawn Comes Up Like Thunder...

...not out of China 'cross the bay, but in Birmingham, Alabama, where it's cold, grey, and generally boring. As I look ahead to another day of pretending to care if the customers at Rich's get a 10%-off coupon, purchase the P.O.S. $49.99-for-ten-pieces luggage, or drop dead of apoplexy on the spot, I keep in mind that customer service is simply acting...

A gentleman presented himself at my counter yesterday with a Samsonite bag which had clearly been through the Punic Wars, and perhaps even the Boer. "Scuffed" would not begin to describe this satchel. Said gentleman mentioned that he had flown with this case "three or four" times, and pointed to a small separation within the zipper. He demanded that we "honor the warranty" and replace the bag...despite repeated statements on my part that it was Samsonite, and not Rich's who bore responsibility for replacement, he persisted in his demands. I responded with a cheerful "let me get my manager" which is really retail shorthand for "f*#k you, I'm passing you along to someone who is sufficiently paid to deal with a*#holes such as yourself." When said manager arrived en scene, I dropped all interest in the proceedings, noticing the gentleman angrily exiting moments later. Oh, well...

Must sign off for now and greet another day in luggage-land. :-)

1 comment:

geekzapoppin said...

You should have told him that he'll need to send his bag to the following address:

Up His Ass, USA