Monday, July 02, 2007

Small Things

I just ate the most wonderfully cold, sweet, crunchy watermelon I have eaten in a long time. I know it sounds silly, but it actually got me thinking about all the tiny little pleasures we take for granted in our daily lives. With that in mind, I started thinking of others, including...

.A nice, hot, shower with plenty of soap and shampoo. When you stop and think of how many people on Earth don't have this luxury, it really makes it seem special. I have always loved the shower...I used to take toys into the big shower in my parents' bathroom when I was a little kid...I'd stay in and play with Star Wars figures or whatever until I literally looked like a prune. As I got older, I discovered that I could lie down diagonally and take a nap while the water cascaded down...this became a bit of a ritual when I was in high school...I never fussed too much about getting up because I knew I could catch another 15 or 20 minutes of sleep in the shower before someone would bang on the door and wake me up.

.Books. I have hundreds (literally) spread between my apartment, my friends' houses, the homes of various family members, etc. etc. When you read some statistics on literacy (or the lack thereof) it will blow your mind at how many people do not have the skills to lose themselves in a book.

.Ice Cream. Yes, I'm being a bit cheeky, but sincere. I love ice cream. I could eat a gallon of it at a time. I love everything from cheapie store-brand to Haagen-Dazs...pretty much any flavor, although my absolute favorite is Mint Chocolate Chip. Bryer's Vanilla Fudge Twirl is a close second. As far as life's little pleasures go, ice cream is near the top for me.

.Friends. I have some really good ones.

. This is a bit more esoteric, but there is a particular tingly feeling that you get when you are about to kiss someone for the very first time...you're close enough to smell her perfume, you've both got your eyes closed, and the head-tilt has happened...yet for one brief shining moment (with thanks to Alan J Lerner for the phrase) you just hang there in space with delightful anticipation. It's a second or two at the longest, but wow...what a rush...

.Music. I can't imagine my life without it...I grew up in a house where the radio or record player (yes, I'm a child of the 70's) was usually always on. Getting in the car usually meant turning on the radio, too. Throughout my life, music has always been a backdrop to the day's events.

...and the list goes on. I suppose the point of all this (if there is one) is to point out some of the small things that make life pleasant, yet often get overlooked. I'd love to hear some more from others...anyone...?

FLT3

No comments: