Tuesday, September 18, 2007

RUMPLESTILTSKIN, New Flat, and Notoriety

Today was opening day of Rumplestiltskin at Bham Children's Theatre. I am playing the role of Sir Hugo, a sort of puffed-up Royal Treasurer kind of fellow. I would be lying if I said it was the pinnacle of artistic gratification, but on a humanitarian level, it can't be beat...the show is performed in the "Wee Folks" theatre, where the target audience is kindergarten-3rd grade. Though the show is (understandably) simple and short, I have already caught sight of a couple of kids in each audience (2 shows per day) who seemed transfixed. When you stop to think that your performance may be creating a love of theatre in a young person, you can't help but feel as if you are doing something good for humanity.

The paycheck is nice, too...not getting rich by any means, but I can honestly say that I am a paid, working actor. That's not something that many people in Birmingham can say...

I just moved into a new apartment. For the few of you who may have seen my previous apartment, it was (to put it mildly) gruesome...Dank, dated, and dungeon-like, this little hole in the wall was not a place into which I would invite people. Why was I living there, you may ask? It was cheap, convenient to Southside, and when I needed a place to live a year ago, I honestly thought I wasn't at home enough to warrant a nicer place. Needless to say, I was wrong...

Anyway, my lease was up at the end of July and the place I decided to move did not have a unit open until 10 September. I can now say that at age 37, I survived six(!) weeks bunking at my parents' house. Actually, it wasn't so awful...they were very nice and accomodating, and I enjoyed spending some time with them. However, by the time 9 September came round, I had bag and baggage packed and ready to go...

I am now living at Wildwood Crossings, where I lived in law school. An interesting perspective on life has come round since then...when I first moved in in '97, the complex was brand new. I was literally the first person to ever live in my apartment. Through the years that followed law school, I looked back on Wildwood as a sort of suburban idyll, a fantasyland where all was bright and shiny. (Remember that after undergrad, this was my first really "nice" apartment.)

Ten years later...it's still very nice. I am paying the rent myself now, as opposed to mom & dad, so it isn't quite the enchanted spot it was before. Plus, it's now a 10-year-old complex, and while it's very well-maintained, the sheen of brand-newness is gone. There has been some redecoration, and the bold wallpaper (which I loved) has been replaced by a textured muted-beige paint/plaster design (which I like just fine.)

Bottom line: what was once a never-never land of parties and the last burst of carefree youth is now a slightly more shopworn but still comfy and happy "real world" home. I still have to chew on the philosophical implications of all this, but I think my surroundings sort of reflect the disparity between the late 20's and late 30's. The latter still has fun and laughs, but perhaps slightly muted by time and creeping maturity. Not all bad, to be honest...

As for the notoriety, I have once again been mentioned on my friend Aaron's blog. Aaron is quite a fine writer, and I always enjoy seeing myself through his eyes. I usually fare pretty well...can't say I would enjoy it as much if he devoted a weekly column to "Frank is a bastard and here's why." Hopefully, that won't happen... :-)

Today from The Motherland...The Sex Pistols reunite! I remember listening to "Never Mind The Bollocks" back in the day...now most of the original fans have SUVs and 401(K)s. Sort of makes you doubt mainstream commercial anti-establishment musicians, huh...?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7000180.stm

FLT3

2 comments:

Andy said...

My very first stage appearance was as the title character in 'Rumplestiltskin'. I was in third grade, and, as the shortest boy in the school capable of memorizing the lines, it was no contest.

People who know me now don't believe how tiny I was as a child. I didn't hit five feet until after eighth grade.

Congrats on the new digs.

-A

Aaron White said...

I love theatre in large part because I was scared of a guy with a top hat and a big hammer who threatened the audience in a childrens' play I saw as a kid. I'd say the odds are good your show will be some child's first exciting/fulfilling/scarring theatre experience.

My apartment is inappropriate for visitors, but that's because I'm a pig, not an inherant facility problem.

Congrats on getting your new digs and getting the show going!