Thursday, July 24, 2008

Gruel To Go...?

Having spent the past few days working on a children's theatre script adaptation of Oliver Twist, I am in a decidedly Dickensian frame of mind... fair warning that today's posting will most likely be verbose, flowery, and follow the "why use one word when ten will do" philosophy... (for those smartasses among my readers who were considering posing a question along the lines of "why should today be any different," too bad...I just beat you to it... ;-)

With said Dickensian bent firmly established, I have allowed myself a few minutes of silly reverie before starting the day... I have an image in mind of a Dickens-based fast food place... "Gruel To Go." It could easily be twinned with a bookstore (excuse me...it's Dickens Day...I meant to say a book-shop) along the lines of the cafe in Little Professor (a Bham book-shop for those out-of-town readers.) The menu could feature Oliver's Gruel (oatmeal,) the Cratchit Special (very little food for those watching their waistlines,) Uncle Pumblechook's Wine List (a bottle of port and a bottle of sherry, if memory serves,) and the Sydney Carton Health Plate for those who wish to be oh-so-virtuous (" 'tis a far, far, better thing I do...") And the list goes on... Little Dorrit's Kidney Pies... Miss Havisham's Wedding Cake... and the requisite Budget Deal (for those who have fallen upon Hard Times.)

Okay, so the place would probably not have a huge initial appeal beyond English nerds and academic types, but isn't that sort of wonderful? I think a little exclusivity is good for the soul, but that's just me...

As I forge ahead with this idea, I am envisioning a Tex-Mex establishment immediately adjacent. (The Brits and The Texans tend to mix rather well.) Perhaps a large advert of Charles Dickens arm-in-arm with Sam Houston would make for an interesting image... or possibly Annie Oakley (was she Texan? Oh well, if she wasn't, she should have been) holding a gun on Ebenezer Scrooge... oh the tie-in... "Did my 3-Alarm Texas Chili cause you to have heartburn and acid indigestion? Well, pard, get rid of the "Ghost Of Christmas Past" with new and improved Rolaids!"

This is getting bizzare, but I am following the lead of Mayor "Crazy Larry" Langford... sometimes you've just got to think outside the box...

Not much else to report from Lake Wobegon... I am auditioning today for a television show in the making...something about environmental concerns, etc...not sure if anything will come of it, but I figured it was worth a shot. Darling Lovey is going to accompany me for moral support. Perhaps I can convince her to audition as well...

In today's News From The Motherland... Nazis and orgies and hookers? Oh my...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7523034.stm

Obama in '08!!!

FLT3

No comments: