Friday, July 11, 2008

Reefer Madness and Fried Food

I suppose today's header sounds like a party from just about everyone's college days... however, the real story is a bit different...

Last night Lovey and I saw "Reefer Madness:The Musical" at TNT, one of Birmingham's outstanding local theatres. My good friend Jan was in the cast, and I must admit that my initial impetus for seeing the show was to be supportive of her. I had seen the made-for-Showtime (HBO?) adaptation of the stage musical, and found it mildly entertaining, but it never really grabbed me.

I have no idea whether the show just works better on stage, or if I was just tired/distracted/etc when I watched the dvd, but wow...this production was HYSTERICAL! The staging was tight and fluid, the performers all bought in to the silly "over-the-top" quality of the script, the musicians were superb, etc etc etc...I could go on, but will settle for saying "this is an outstanding and entertaining show." Kudos to the cast and director, Carl Stewart.

Anyway, following the performance, Lovey and I joined a group of friends for a bite to eat. Obviously, most food readily available after 10pm is going to most likely be fried bar food. Okay, no problem...I can eat onion rings and other fried things and go home to bed with no problem... I did it all the time in college...sure, pass me the hot sauce, it'll make my sandwich taste soooo good!

Ugh.

The British have the most wonderfully evocative term... "gyppy tummy." My tummy has been beyond gyppy this am. Clearly, my days of eating a whole Domino's pizza washed down with a few beers and then drifting off to blissful sleep are left waaaaay back in the distance, along with "Don't Worry, Be Happy," Crocodile Dundee, neon clothing, the first President Bush, The Spice Girls, and "Matlock."

Enough about my digestive issues. Today is slightly cloudy, a little muggy, and bears the aura of a comforting, soft, reassuring blanket. If one has to feel a bit less than top drawer, this is the sort of day that will accomodate and soothe.

In today's News From The Motherland... apples and pears...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7501420.stm

Obama in '08!!!!

FLT3

No comments: