Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Dial "M" For Murder

Went with Melissa to see the Hitchcock classic Dial M For Murder tonight at The Alabama Theatre. I am always mesmerized by the beauty of this classic movie palace from the 1930's. Opulent is the only word I can use to describe it. For those who have not been there, it's well worth the trip. Gilded chandeliers, velvet-covered (and endless) stairways and an aura of bygone glamour define the surroundings. It would be a treat simply to tour the building and walk around. Even the restrooms are lavishly appointed.

As for the movie itself, I was pretty darn impressed. First of all, it was shown in 3-D, so everyone in the audience wore the silly but fun paper glasses. I'm sure I have seen the film before on television, but I couldn't remember much at all about it. I won't spoil the ending for those who may have never seen it, but it is definitely Hitchcock at his best...very suspenseful and clever. Grace Kelly was a bit wooden in her performance, but wow...as lovely as we all remember. The rest of the cast (including Ray Milland) was quite good, and the film itself seemed to perfectly reflect the baby-boom era's fascination with high glamour and chills. Compared to today's blood-n-guts horror movies, it was nice to see a truly spine-tingling but intelligent murder/mystery.

FLT3

No comments: