Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It Always Pays To Look Up A Word.

Thanks to Wikipedia, I just saved myself from the misuse of a word. I was going to title this posting " A Pyrrhic Victory For Hillary," making reference to her win in Florida which produced no boost in delegate count. It was my (mis)understanding that the term made reference to a contest in which the victor won nothing beyond the joy of winning, (ie no prize.) I was not sure how to spell "pyrrhic" so I looked it up. Upon reading the definition, I learned that it actually means "a victory at a tremendous and devastating cost."

Okay, I'm an English nerd...I thought it was interesting. :-)

At any rate, Hillary did indeed win a prizeless contest, but one which may bring a bigger prize later on. The boost from the much-publicized Florida win can only help on Super Tuesday. If Edwards will endorse Hillary, I think we will be home free...

Obama is also helping our cause, in my opinion. He has amped up the negativity, especially in the face of the much-circulated photo of his obvious snub of Hillary at the State of the Union speech. Today he drew a negative comparison between Bill's "bridge to the 21st century" and Hillary's campaign. I am hopeful that the backlash will be enough to give our girl a boost next Tuesday. If we can command a decisive lead after Tuesday, I think we have a clear sail to the convention and (please, God) The White House.

In today's News From The Motherland... another well-deserved honour for JK Rowling.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7215772.stm

Hillary in 08!!!

FLT3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hilary is ahead in most of the Super Tuesday states, and if it stays that way, then she'll have a good lead after Tuesday. But, it looks like Obama might be able to close the gap. With the Kennedys in Obama's corner, and with Jimmy Carter's positive comments about Obama, I think he'll probably win a good number of delegates on Tuesday. And, there's no way Edwards is endorsing Hilary. Regardless, I'll be casting my vote for Hilary on Tuesday. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing lasted until the convention. Btw, a good website for election coverage is www.electoral-vote.com