Monday, August 24, 2009

I Want A Bulldog

Day 6: Collect $200 for passing Go.

It will come as no great shock to all several of my readers that I want a bulldog. To be perfectly clear, I want two bulldog puppies, to be named Churchill and Atlee or Thurston and Lovey, depending on the day. That is to say that on different days I envision them as having either set of names. Their names, once set, will not change from day to day.

Bulldogs are a sort of love-em-or-hate-em breed. Yes, they are celebrated for their flatulence, they are frequently spittle-flecked due to an alarming tendency to slobber, coupled with ownership of a tongue that usually seems to outsize a small automobile, and they require a tremendous amount of care and upkeep. Fine. I can live with all of that.

One only has to look into the scowling maw of a fussy bulldog or to gaze upon the toothy, open-mouthed smile of a joyous one to understand just how adorable these creatures can be. It may sound strange to describe their wrinkled jowls, squat bodies, and overall fireplug appearance as beautiful, but that's exactly how I see it.

For the moment, I live in an apartment which is much too small for a large dog, and Lovey has yet to completely warm to the idea of adding another pet or two to her household, which already includes a dog and a cat. That notwithstanding, I adore these sweet, pugnacious, delightful animals, and I have no doubt that one (or more) will have a place in my life at some point in time. :-)

In today's News From The Motherland... a new Olympic stamp.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8218667.stm

Cheers!
FLT3

No comments: