Friday, August 21, 2009

Rain

Day 3: If tin whistles are made of tin, what do they make foghorns out of?

Last night brought a somewhat torrential downpour, along with the thunder and lightning that make summer storms so glorious. Having always loved thunderstorms, I spent as much time as possible standing on my balcony, watching the sheets of water billow their way across the sky. There's always a feeling of anticipation that comes with a good storm...a hunch that something grand is about to happen.

Rain is something that has always fascinated me. I remember as a very small child rigging a garden hose to the top of my swing set so that I could stand beneath the spray and hold an umbrella. The fact that my parents found this behavior neither strange nor out of character should probably tell me something...

Sleeping during a thunderstorm comes very naturally to me. Of course, sleeping under any conditions has never been too difficult for me, either.

Enough about rain...it's just nice that we are having some. Maybe it will cool things off...I used to hate cold weather with a passion, but over the past few years, I have grown to appreciate it.

On a completely unrelated topic, a big shout-out to my good friend Darrell Cartwright, who posted the first comment yesterday, following my absence from blogging. Confirmed readers...1 and counting... :-)

In today's News From The Motherland...chicanery surrounding festival tickets.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/berkshire/8214352.stm

Cheers!
FLT3

1 comment:

Julie Steward said...

I love the story about the garden hose. I have no doubt that you were sporting a raincoat to match your umbrella. Well turned out...