Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Shrew Tamed...

Day 2: So Far So Good.

Last night Lovey and I went to final dress rehearsal for Park Players' The Taming Of The Shrew, which is directed by a very good friend who invited me to come and be part of a small test audience. It was a very enjoyable, well-acted show, and I recommend it highly to any and all. Particularly impressive to me was the pacing of the show, which never slowed down. Shakespeare can become quite slow and plodding without proper pacing, and this group keeps the show moving to the unheard beat of a brisk metronome.

Tonight will take me not to the streets of Petruchio's Verona, but back to Grovers' Corners, NH, where we have 4 remaining performances of Our Town. Several friends will be there tonight, and we've all had a few nights off, so the performance should be fresh and energetic. I have truly grown to appreciate this little play which has been the bane of countless high school drama clubs. The reason for this turnaround is simple. I had never before seen anyone older than a college student play these roles, and there are points that can not be made about adulthood by those who have never experienced it. Seeing the characters come to life through the performances of age-appropriate actors has cast the entire script in a new light. I have enjoyed the experience.

In today's News From The Motherland... a crackdown on free drink night.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/devon/8212870.stm

Cheers!
FLT3

1 comment:

Mr. V said...

Mrs. Peel and I made the trek to Grover's Corners to see our good friends Editor Webb and Mrs. Soames. We were outstandingly impressed with not only their hard work but that of the other denizens of that much-maligned community. In spite of torrential rainfall during the first visit (some may choose to call it Act I) it was still a lovely time had by all in attendance. The work of the those who greeted us and those who remained "behind the scenes", as it were, created a very pleasant and, for this visitor, nostalgic traipse to a state which we had only recently been to, if only for a quick dash and dine with the maternal member of my clan. Many years ago, I had the privilege of living in Grover's Corners and practicing medicine. I am pleased to see that the current holder of the caduceus is a fine and honorable man of outstanding character and virtue.

We had a tremendous time during our visit and I hope that many accolades and kind wishes are passed on to those who inhabited the small New Hampshire town.

Steed