Friday, September 09, 2005

Alas, New Orleans...

I have been doing my best to deal with the New Orleans tragedy with a degree of detatchment, but the 24-hour news coverage sort of prohibits that approach. So much destruction, and I fear the worst is yet to come.

New Orleans is a very special place. Like millions of others, I have my own set of memories of The Crescent City, and I find myself recalling them more and more these days...my first trip down to New Orleans as a college freshman...numerous weekends going home with a girlfriend whose parents lived there...one or two purely rowdy trips with drinking buddies...enjoying everything from black-tie upper society (Mardi Gras Ball with aforementioned girlfriend and her family) to the basest of diversions offered by the French Quarter (basically every other trip...ha ha!)

...and now there's nothing there but flood waters and chaos.

New Orleans will recover, however. Jazz clubs will reopen. Street performers and psychics will return to Jackson Square. Begniets and Cafe au Lait will flow at Cafe Du Monde, the horse-drawn carriages will again clop through the French Quarter, and the strippers will again writhe and gyrate on Bourbon Street stages. Soul food will be cooked, beads will be thrown, and life will return to what passes for normal in this great city.

Hopefully the citizens who have been displaced will all find a way to return. Let's hope so.

FLT3

No comments: