Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Rest In Peace, "Little Buddy."

Wow. It's been months (several of them) since I've posted. It's really too bad that a major loss has prompted me to dust off my blog page and start writing again...

Yesterday brought some very sad news to those of us who are "Gilligan's Island" fans. Bob Denver passed away at the age of 70. This is way too young for anyone to die. For those of us in our mid-30's, Bob Denver and his zany gang of fellow castaways brought hours of after-school joy and laughter as we enjoyed the reruns of the show in syndication.

Many of you have heard my story about Bob Denver...when CenterStage was presenting "Gilligan's Island: The Musical," I tried to get him as our opening night guest. Somehow I got his phone number through his agent's office, and I wound up speaking on the phone with him for a couple of minutes. It would be politically correct to say that he was an absolute angel, but that would not be the truth. Actually, he was quite brisk and let me know rather quickly that he was not interested. I have since been told by a good friend of mine (who also happened to know Bob Denver very well) that Denver really was a nice guy...he just got asked to do SO many appearances that he had developed a sort of gruff manner when handling such requests. Add to this that he was an extremely private person, and it makes the whole thing much more understandable. Who knows? He may have been having a terrible day, he may have had a headache, or who knows what else may have been going on at the exact moment I happened to talk to him?

Bottom line: He was clearly adored by those who knew him, and he created a character that was loved by countless millions. Here's to the memory and good name of Bob Denver...may he rest in peace and always be remembered by the fans and friends whose lives he touched. I am proud to count myself among the many fans he leaves behind. I know that Heaven will be an even happier place with Bob Denver up there.

FLT3

No comments: