Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Thoughts on Wal-Mart

Walking through Wal-Mart at 11:00 at night definitely gives one some insight into the sheer freaking magnitude of consumer culture in Western Society. The Wal-Mart on Lakeshore Drive was one of my frequent haunts during Law School, when I lived at Wildwood Crossings, but after moving to Southside, I haven't been there as much. Tonight I went there with Melissa while she shopped for Alabama and Auburn memorabilia to decorate for her blood drive tomorrow. (I guess they assume people will be more likely to donate blood if there are college football items sitting around.) Anyway, the store was PACKED, not with customers, but with workers stocking shelves, unpacking gigantic boxes, etc. It was almost like watching Santa Claus and the elves making toys for Christmas...a sort of glimpse at the secret creation of what we take for granted.

That's enough deep thought for tonight.

FLT3

No comments: