Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Just My Opinion...

Some random thoughts:

. Peanut butter is particularly good on toast, which ever-so-slightly melts the peanut butter, creating a tasty treat with a glass of cold milk.

I read Joan Didion's memoir on death and dying in last week's New York Times Sunday Magazine, and was shocked to realize that I really enjoyed it. I remember reading Play It as It Lays years ago, and liking it, too. I should read some of her other work.

. The Doors recorded the background music for almost everyone's college years, even those of us who were not even born in the band's heyday. I still can't hear "Riders On The Storm" or "Break On Through" without being immediately transported back to 1989 or thereabouts.

. Ditto the B-52's "Rock Lobster" or "Love Shack."

. I hardly ever read a book cover-to-cover without jumping around. I always finish a book when I start it (well, I guess I should say "usually" instead of "always," but there you are.) The point is that I frequently jump around and read the most interesting parts first. I used to think this was strange...now I don't really care.

. Technology intimidates me...I would love to own an iPod, a Blackberry, a digital camera, etc., but I know I would just stare at them and never figure out how to use them.

. I miss Bill Clinton. Politics aside, there was an optimism about the country during "Brother Bill's" tenure, and I attribute much of this to the fact that America had a true LEADER, with a charisma unseen since Kennedy. Clinton had an almost rock-star aura of celebrity about him, and there was no doubt that this guy was THE PRESIDENT. Bush will never have that kind of style. (HILLARY IN '08!)

. There's something kind of nice about an older shopping mall. I'm talking about the ones that still have that 1970's decor and atmosphere. Even if the stores are less than first-rate, it's fun to wander through a mall with individuality and character. Oddly enough, there is almost always a bookstore in an older mall, and I love bookstores.

. HBO has started a new original series, Rome, which I enjoy. I love The Sopranos, and really liked Six Feet Under, Oz, and Carnivale. I have never been able to get into Deadwood or Entourage. I was sort of neutral on Sex And The City... I usually enjoyed it when I happened to watch, but never really got hooked. Curb Your Enthusiasm has got to be one of the funniest shows ever created.

. I've never been a sports fan, but for some reason I can enjoy watching a couple of innings of baseball. I went to an Atlanta Braves game once, and had a great time watching the crowd, drinking beer, and generally being a part of the experience, but I don't think I watched very much of the game.

. There's a feeling of accomplishment that comes with washing clothes. Seeing a pile of wrinkled, smelly, used-up clothes become fresh and renewed in less than an hour always makes me think I have somehow made good use of my day.

. There used to be an ice cream parlor in Birmingham called Farrell's. It was in the old Brookwood Village, downstairs by the parking deck. When I was a kid, it was a real treat to go there. I have no idea why I just thought of Farrell's, but there it is...

. I like the smell of Glade air fresheners...the little rotating plastic-cone ones. Do they even still make them? I remember in particular that I like the smell of the green freshener in the tan cone.

Enough free-flowing thought...signing off until tomorrow.

FLT3

No comments: