Monday, September 21, 2009

Still Seeking The Loop

Day 29: Woman, I'm troubled. I be all worried of mind.
-Muddy Waters

The loop referenced in today's heading is the one out of which I have fallen lately. I thought about posting two little posts and back-dating them for Saturday and Sunday, but that would be pushing the You-know-I-do-it-and-I-know-you-know-but-we-sort-of-ignore-it factor a bit far, even for me...as usual, I will vow to be back on task from this day forward. Believe that as you will...

The positive side of my having been a slacker for a couple of days is that I actually have a few experiences about which to write. Saturday was supposed to bring my presence at what would have been the first UA football game I had attended since my old fraternity days over 20 years ago. However, the day dawned rainy and grey, and my good friend Goldstein (who was providing the tickets) suggested that we stay in Birmingham and simply watch the game in the comfort of a cozy sports bar. I heartily agreed with this idea.

We went to The Tilted Kilt, a cheeky sports pub which blends English, Scottish, and Irish culture with moderate success. The waitresses are clad in very skimpy tartan wear, which gives one a fair idea of what a strip club in Brigadoon may have resembled. It's all in good fun, and the waitresses seem to be pretty good sports about the whole thing. I can also report that while the fish & chips don't rival those of The Motherland, they are quite tasty.

This week also brings pre-production work on A Christmas Story, which will be CenterStage's big "yes, we're back" production in December. While we have very little money, I have some ideas that will be inexpensive but effective...thank God that most theatre companies are usually on the ragged edge of financial disaster...we've all learned how to do a lot with little money. Also, the script is a cozy, intimate one, which relies on the acting and the story more than great spectacle, which is good...'cause we can only afford a very small spectacle. More like a monocle, truth be told...

Today I subbed at VHHS for a Science class, which was actually lots of fun. The kids were to watch a movie on Earth Science, and by the fourth viewing, I was really starting to enjoy it. Another day, another dollar...

I am still hoping to hear more form the readers who supposedly lurk in the shadows. Feel free to say hello! :-)

In today's News From The Motherland...a rooftop dispute.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/derbyshire/8267763.stm

Cheers!
FLT3

1 comment:

Julie Steward said...

Love the "more like a monocle" line. Very clever!