Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Musings...

Day 36: To everything, turn,turn,turn...there is a season, turn,turn,turn...

I have been reflective today. Somewhat melancholy (which I will try and spare my readers) yet hopeful (which I will do my best to share.) I have been pondering the general arc of life, and the strange turns it can take...nothing that will change the nature of man...just personal musings...

Each day is a crapshoot. You never know when you wake up in the morning if today is the day you get hit by a bus or hit the lottery...sometimes the worst morning can bring joy with the setting of the sun, while at other times you can really feel like it's all smooth sailing through calm seas...until the raft sinks unexpectedly (yes, that was a Gilligan reference...bonus points for anyone who can name the episode... ;-)

I suppose that's what makes the world interesting. I remember reading one of those little books of questions that make plane travel and jury duty bearable...you know the kind I mean...and one of the questions was "Would you rather have a flat, predictable, but relatively dull life or one filled with great successes and amazing failures?" Well, anyone who has known me for more than six minutes would quickly realize that the former, while perfect for some, would not be my first choice. Granted, NEITHER is ideal...they are both on the fringes of extreme. They do, however, make for an interesting point to ponder.

There's a marvelous little song in Lerner & Loewe's Gigi called "It's A Bore." In the song, bon vivant Honore Lachailles is trying to cheer up his nephew, Gaston, who is much more staid of nature than his uncle. A quote:

HONORE: Look at Paris in the spring,
When each solitary thing
Is more beautiful than ever before...
You can hear every tree almost saying "look at me!"

GASTON: What color are the trees?

HONORE: Green!

GASTON: What color were they last year?

HONORE: Green!

GASTON: And next year?

HONORE: Green!

GASTON: It's a bore...

(My apologies for the above quote which I thought would round out the discussion, but upon refelction it doesn't exactly apply. However, it's still a nice little tune. It will be in my head today :-)

Enough prattling on my part. I may have had a point, but it has gotten off-track.

In today's News From The Motherland...a Welsh politician calls it quits...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/wales_politics/8283538.stm

Cheers!
FLT3

No comments: